Piano Forum

Remembering the great Maurizio Pollini
Legendary pianist Maurizio Pollini defined modern piano playing through a combination of virtuosity of the highest degree, a complete sense of musical purpose and commitment that works in complete control of the virtuosity. His passing was announced by Milan’s La Scala opera house on March 23. Read more >>

Topic: Yundi Li  (Read 43294 times)

Offline m

• PS Silver Member
Re: Yundi Li
Reply #100 on: November 29, 2004, 07:17:17 AM

Hey Tibidi,

I find your posts extremely entertaining, esp. your conspirancy theories of Lang Lang mafia aginst great Yundi Li. Keep 'em comin'!

Haha, I agree  ;D  But then, u dissed Rudy!  >:(

Sorry if I've hurt your feelings.

I'd so much prefer if he'd put his phenomenal, absolutely unique, boundless pianistic ablities to serve music, and become a serious musician. Then I'd never be tired to sing praises for him. But at this point--sorry, I just can't.   
But hey! If you enjoy him, what's the problem? You have as much of opinion as I do!

I guess, we have enough enertainment here to start another war.
Or wait.... how 'bout Asian obsessive mafia against Russian pianistic school?

For Vadim Rudenko, i have only heard his Op.10 No.2 chopin etudes and the Rachmaninoff moment Musical Op.16 no.4 from his website. Will u say his style/technique is similar to his collegue Nikolai Lugansky?
I even asked my friend in Japan to order some Rudenko CDs for me. How is this pianist exactly, is there any recording of him avaliable here?

Definitely, these two pieces are not enough to judge anybody. I haven't heard Lugansky for about 10 years, and don't know how plays now, but based on how he played then, their style is very different. I think Lugansky's playing is much more mature. Although his technique always' been quite impressive, unlike Rudenko, it's never his self-goal. I think his Symphonic Etudes are one of the best ever recorded.

Offline chromatickler

• PS Silver Member
Reply #101 on: November 29, 2004, 08:32:38 AM
before Tchaik prelimz, Da Dorensky to da otha jury membahz: yall hear me niggaz, ma boy here vil do da 10/2 in a minute. give him a feckin prize eh...

soundz very sensible to me.  8)

Offline m

• PS Silver Member
Reply #102 on: November 29, 2004, 08:47:01 AM
before Tchaik prelimz, Da Dorensky to da otha jury membahz: yall hear me niggaz, ma boy here vil do da 10/2 in a minute. give him a feckin prize eh...

soundz very sensible to me.  8)

... and so Dorensky. Heh...

Offline tibidi

• PS Silver Member
Reply #103 on: November 29, 2004, 04:32:07 PM

overall, I think Li is a much better pianist but he has very little freedom on what he can perform, and he has to obey the record company in order to survive (remember the Vietnamess Chopin competition winner Dang Thai Son? He doesn't obey DG and he is now nobody)

Try to get more materials before u speak.

Whatever, u ignorant idiot.

I tried to be unbiased. And I have already told u I neither support/against both of the pianist.

I simply saying he has declined since 3 years. That's the truth, and if u can't accept that, that's ur own fault. God, it's like talk to a wall.

Go ahead and be your 'Yundi Li is so underrated and whatever people bad-mouth about him is Lang Lang supporter - club' chairperson.

Stupid obsessive fan, I have seen too much of you kind.

I will try my last attempt to make u understand.

Look, who has had so much contempt for other and yet has been able to get away from other people's criticism except mine? Instead, I am the one who seem to have been  rediculed by a few here. Not a fair place too, I think. There are some  fans of lang Lang here too.

Let me put the fact right for you. Dang Thai Son had never signed with DG because the first Asian to have singed with DG is Yundi Li.

You had told me to get more materials before I speak. Don't you think you should be the one who should  try to get more materials before u speak?

Another advice, you owe Yundi Li an apology for trying to smear his character besides having said a lot of nonsense about his music.

Offline steinwaymodeld

• PS Silver Member
Reply #104 on: November 29, 2004, 05:23:16 PM

Look, who has had so much contempt for other and yet has been able to get away from other people's criticism except mine? Instead, I am the one who seem to have been  rediculed by a few here. Not a fair place too, I think. There are some  fans of lang Lang here too.

Let me put the fact right for you. Dang Thai Son had never signed with DG because the first Asian to have singed with DG is Yundi Li.

You had told me to get more materials before I speak. Don't you think you should be the one who should  try to get more materials before u speak?

Another advice, you owe Yundi Li an apology for trying to smear his character besides having said a lot of nonsense about his music.

Even though u mentioned so many names of other pianists.
But u gave me such a strong impression that u only know LL and Yundi Li.

thus
here is my reply

:yawn:
Perfection itself is imperfection - Vladimir Horowitz

Offline tibidi

• PS Silver Member
Reply #105 on: November 29, 2004, 06:07:31 PM
You are right, I am particularly interested in these two pianists because I don't understand why a pianist with such a real artistic playing has to be smeared and attacked so much for the past few years. They like to bring up at various websites what Fou Ts'ong had said about Yundi. Those websites even  pasted up this interview with Fou Ts'ong at some eyes catching places so that many Chinese will know that Fou Ts'ong has very high opinion about Lang Lang but Yundi cannot be compared with Lang Lang at all. So, every Chinese belived what Fou Ts'ong had said because he is a pianist himself and hence must be correct in his judgement. Now, after seeing western music critics' criticisms about Lang Lang, Fou Ts'ong started to criticize Lang Lang too, but those interviews with fou Ts'ong are stiil there for everybody to read. It seems that there is no end to this kind of nonsense. Even a few months ago, one German writer made use of Yundi's important debut performance in Germany to praise Lang Lang to sky high. He had used the title,

Chinese Prodigy Wows Berlin at Debut
The preternatural talent of pianist Yundi Li was acknowledged by an appreciative, if noisy, audience.

You expected him to report mainly on Yundi's performance that night, instead he   was too occupied with Lang Lang all the way. In the end, what impression do you get? You get the impression that Yundi cannot be compared with Lang Lang at all, haha!

Offline Op. 1 No. 2

• PS Silver Member
Reply #106 on: November 29, 2004, 06:53:39 PM
Both Yundi Li and Lang Lang are playing in the name of money, not in the name of music. I despise the ones that put them in their position, they're both great pianists. Thanks to those dirty contracts, and the greed of their managers and record companies, they just don't get the chance to show their true potential.

Offline bernhard

• PS Silver Member
Reply #107 on: November 29, 2004, 07:00:18 PM
Er… Just out of curiosity, unless you are Yundi Li, Lang Lang or some of their close relatives, why should you care so much? ???

(I ask this out of sincere curiosity, I am not trying to put you down or anything :))

Best wishes,
Bernhard.
The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side. (Hunter Thompson)

Offline tibidi

• PS Silver Member
Reply #108 on: November 29, 2004, 07:04:28 PM
Both Yundi Li and Lang Lang are playing in the name of money, not in the name of music. I despise the ones that put them in their position, they're both great pianists. Thanks to those dirty contracts, and the greed of their managers and record companies, they just don't get the chance to show their true potential.

I don't think I have understood you. Who, in your opinion, is playing for music, but not  for money?

Offline tibidi

• PS Silver Member
Reply #109 on: November 29, 2004, 07:08:12 PM
Er… Just out of curiosity, unless you are Yundi Li, Lang Lang or some of their close relatives, why should you care so much? ???

(I ask this out of sincere curiosity, I am not trying to put you down or anything :))

Best wishes,
Bernhard.

Maybe I am just a busybody, but I think it's more due to my strong believe of justice for everyone.

Offline m

• PS Silver Member
Reply #110 on: November 29, 2004, 07:23:25 PM

Here we go! 

Who, in your opinion, is playing for music, but not  for money?

May be I am missing somebody else, but two pianists I am aware of--Sviatoslav Richter and Grigory Sokolov.

Offline tibidi

• PS Silver Member
Reply #111 on: November 29, 2004, 07:30:22 PM

May be I am missing somebody else, but two pianists I am aware of--Sviatoslav Richter and Grigory Sokolov.

These two played for music, but not for money? In what way? No elaboration at all?

Offline Op. 1 No. 2

• PS Silver Member
Reply #112 on: November 29, 2004, 09:40:25 PM

Best wishes,
Bernhard.

For the sake of the preformance of good music. There's plenty of good music out there, I know, but there's nothing wrong with lots of quantities of good quality.  ;D

Offline julie391

• PS Silver Member
Reply #113 on: November 30, 2004, 03:38:01 AM

Maybe I am just a busybody, but I think it's more due to my strong believe of justice for everyone.

sorry, i just like sabotaging yundi li's career and praising langlang as much as possible

Offline tibidi

• PS Silver Member
Reply #114 on: November 30, 2004, 03:44:05 AM

For the sake of the preformance of good music. There's plenty of good music out there, I know, but there's nothing wrong with lots of quantities of good quality

How come I haven't been able to understand you at all? Perhaps I should qoute what Lang Lang had said before to illustrate your point.

Who really play for money? Look what Lang Lang had said in a recent interview done in Malaysia on 14th May 2004. He said:

(1). He wants to move to the rich men’s area Beverly Hills in Los Angeles, the area where David Foster Beverly is staying. David Foster’s estate has got private train to allow him to go from the bottom of the hill to his house on top of the hill.

(2). He said that money is a ‘nice thing’ that makes him happy. After having lots of money, he has now developed some expensive tastes like collecting manuscripts of some composers like Tchaikovsky and liszt. He also likes to collect painting done by Picaso and Monah.

(3). After having achieved fame, he has the feeling that he  is able to possess anything he wants in life, he can have the wind or the rain as he wishes. He even feels that he doesn’t have to listen to his agents in arranging his performing schedules for him. He looks upon his agents like his secretaries. He has agents in Europe, US, Asia and he calls them everyday telling them what they must do, just like a multinational consortium.

Besides talking about money, Lang Lang had also compared himself with Yundi in an absurd manner. Again, Yundi cannot be compared with him at all. This interview was published in a full page of a Malaysia major newspaper Nanyang Sian Pau just a few months before Yundi was supposed to perform there. Poor Yundi, he didn’t even have a slightest news coverage for him before and after his performance there. There was absolutely no news coverage for Yundi at all. Has Yundi’s agent really neglected the importance of publicity for Yundi or is there some other reason? If his agent had neglected publicity for Yundi, Yundi ought to get a beter agent for the  Asia region.

I must say that Lang Lang is very cute in telling you the importance of having MONEY, isn't it?

Offline tibidi

• PS Silver Member
Reply #115 on: November 30, 2004, 03:49:19 AM

sorry, i just like sabotaging yundi li's career and praising langlang as much as possible

All I have written are pure recollection of facts, facts that did occurred in the past, so there is no insinuation here.

Offline e60m5

• PS Silver Member
Reply #116 on: November 30, 2004, 03:53:41 AM

I don't think I have understood you. Who, in your opinion, is playing for music, but not  for money?

Many do.

I do.

Offline tibidi

• PS Silver Member
Reply #117 on: November 30, 2004, 03:59:44 AM

Many do.

I do.

Then who is playing for money?

Offline e60m5

• PS Silver Member
Reply #118 on: November 30, 2004, 04:01:13 AM

Then who is playing for money?

No idea. I won't be the one to speak for them.

Offline tibidi

• PS Silver Member
Reply #119 on: November 30, 2004, 04:37:40 AM

No idea. I won't be the one to speak for them.

Won't it be more accurate to say that all pianists  play for money? They cannot survive by drinking water only, right? However, while some are playing for the sole purpose of making tons of money, others may have more noble purposes like trying to achieve the highest artistic level in the field of piano art and at the same time enjoying music while they play. The latter type nomally feel that they have chosen the right line for their career. In fact Daniel Barenboim had also criticized those who play for the sole prupose of making money. He doesn't seem to like certain thing in America and has planned to move to Europe in near future. He had already resigned  from Chicago Symphony orchestra.

Offline bernhard

• PS Silver Member
Reply #120 on: November 30, 2004, 09:43:40 PM
Oh no! Lang Lang just made the cover of Pianist magazine! :o

https://www.pianistmagazine.com/framesetPianist.htm

Cover Story
Chinese prodigy Lang Lang shot up to stardom not so long ago. And it definitely looks like he’s here to stay. What with every top conductor wanting him as soloist, and the Rolls Royce of record companies Deutsche Grammophon releasing one CD after another, Lang Lang proves he’s not just some trendy young thing. Jessica Duchen speaks to the young pianist who’s just brimming with energy.

;)
Best wishes,
Bernhard.                             
The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side. (Hunter Thompson)

Offline steinwaymodeld

• PS Silver Member
Reply #121 on: November 30, 2004, 11:56:06 PM
What with every top conductor wanting him as soloist.....

If that statement is true, then LL wouldn't be recording his new Rach2+Rach/Paganini album with Marinsky Theatre Orchestra

https://www.iclassics.com/productDetail?contentId=63867

Offline Regulus Medtner

• PS Silver Member
Reply #122 on: December 01, 2004, 08:25:23 AM
LL should play some Medtner, then we'll have some good laughs!  ;D

I actually think that Yundi Li might do well in this repertoire though...

Offline tibidi

• PS Silver Member
Reply #123 on: December 01, 2004, 10:09:28 AM
LL should play some Medtner, then we'll have some good laughs!  ;D

I actually think that Yundi Li might do well in this repertoire though...

Won’t pieces without tune suit Lang Lang better? I think Yundi is very suitable for compositions by Chopin, Liszt, Schumann or Grieg.

Offline tibidi

• PS Silver Member
Reply #124 on: December 01, 2004, 10:34:46 AM

His Liszt Sonata back then was one of the best I have heard, now he is just struggling with notes and stupid phrasing, completely ruined the masterpiece. Is it because he has to played the same programme OVER AND OVER AND OVER again for 3 years? I don't know. What I certainly know that is, for people who say 'Yea, Li is as good as before' or 'Li is being commercialized wouldn't affect his playing', are just as blind as the people who think Lang Lang is the 'best, greatest Virtuoso alive'.

It's just simply absurd.

Try to get more materials before u speak.

Too much nonsense had been written by you here regarding Yundi to mislead people.

Too much nonsense have been written at those websites, those media for the past few years and you can tell that there is no end to all these kinds of nonsense.

It’s not fair to say that Yundi had played Liszt sonata for three years. He first started playing this piece  in Japan in 2002,  but he was not able to play itin the same year in US because he was not able to book concert halls in US until 2003. So when he finally managed to get a few small concert theatres to perform in US,  he had certainly played Liszt sonata again  not only because  US audiences haven’t heard him playing this piece,  this piece is such a monumental piece that he can’t possibly  deprive US audiences a chance to hear him playing this piece. In 2004 he managed to get  some more concert halls in US to play this piece. So, what is wrong in playing the same piece to different audiences even if it had been stretched for  three years?  He is not as fortunate as Lang Lang to be able to get first class big concert halls all over the world to perform hundred over concerts a year. Poor Yundi has been performing mainly in small concert halls in US so far. As recently as a few months ago, while Lang Lang was performing in a big concert hall in Los Angeles, Yundi was at the same time performing in a tinny room that could only accommodate a few  hundred, haha! Poor Yundi! During an interview with CNN some times this year, Yundi had expressed the wish to be able to perform in bigger concert halls in future. Hope his wish will be granted soon. So, if you think Lang Lang must be a better pianist than Yundi to be able to perform in first class concert halls, you are dead wrong.

Haven’t  Lang Lang played Rachmaninoff concertos, Beethoven concerto, Tchaikovsky concerto for more than three years already?

Next year Yundi will be playing Mozart, Schumann, Stravinsky besides Chopin, Liszt and Grieg. Although privately he had played many other pieces by other composers, he is very serious about his readiness to perform them publicly. He had said that he won’t bring a piece to the publicly just because he is ready technically, he needs to be ready also mentally. That means he needs to understand a piece thoroughly  before he performs them publicly( Zimerman had criticized some others for immature playing). So, we shouldn’t expect any rubbish from Yundi when we attend his concerts.

Offline steinwaymodeld

• PS Silver Member
Reply #125 on: December 01, 2004, 06:41:30 PM

Next year Yundi will be playing Mozart, Schumann, Stravinsky besides Chopin, Liszt and Grieg. Although privately he had played many other pieces by other composers

I hope u are right.

Offline thracozaag

• PS Silver Member
Reply #126 on: December 02, 2004, 01:21:58 AM

Too much nonsense had been written by you here regarding Yundi to mislead people.

Too much nonsense have been written at those websites, those media for the past few years and you can tell that there is no end to all these kinds of nonsense.

It’s not fair to say that Yundi had played Liszt sonata for three years. He first started playing this piece  in Japan in 2002,  but he was not able to play itin the same year in US because he was not able to book concert halls in US until 2003. So when he finally managed to get a few small concert theatres to perform in US,  he had certainly played Liszt sonata again  not only because  US audiences haven’t heard him playing this piece,  this piece is such a monumental piece that he can’t possibly  deprive US audiences a chance to hear him playing this piece. In 2004 he managed to get  some more concert halls in US to play this piece. So, what is wrong in playing the same piece to different audiences even if it had been stretched for  three years?  He is not as fortunate as Lang Lang to be able to get first class big concert halls all over the world to perform hundred over concerts a year. Poor Yundi has been performing mainly in small concert halls in US so far. As recently as a few months ago, while Lang Lang was performing in a big concert hall in Los Angeles, Yundi was at the same time performing in a tinny room that could only accommodate a few  hundred, haha! Poor Yundi! During an interview with CNN some times this year, Yundi had expressed the wish to be able to perform in bigger concert halls in future. Hope his wish will be granted soon. So, if you think Lang Lang must be a better pianist than Yundi to be able to perform in first class concert halls, you are dead wrong.

Haven’t  Lang Lang played Rachmaninoff concertos, Beethoven concerto, Tchaikovsky concerto for more than three years already?

Next year Yundi will be playing Mozart, Schumann, Stravinsky besides Chopin, Liszt and Grieg. Although privately he had played many other pieces by other composers, he is very serious about his readiness to perform them publicly. He had said that he won’t bring a piece to the publicly just because he is ready technically, he needs to be ready also mentally. That means he needs to understand a piece thoroughly  before he performs them publicly( Zimerman had criticized some others for immature playing). So, we shouldn’t expect any rubbish from Yundi when we attend his concerts.

Are you his manager?

koji (STSD)
"We have to reach a certain level before we realize how small we are."--Georges Cziffra

Offline steinwaymodeld

• PS Silver Member
Reply #127 on: December 02, 2004, 01:24:43 AM

Offline tibidi

• PS Silver Member
Reply #128 on: December 02, 2004, 01:54:51 AM

I hope u are right.

The only one I am not so sure is Stravinsky because I saw it for the first time when someone mentioned  it at the site dedicated to Yundi. These people are very good in searching news about Yundi and Lang Lang but they are fans of Lang Lang and just pretend that they support Yundi, amazing, isn't it?

Offline tibidi

• PS Silver Member
Reply #129 on: December 02, 2004, 01:59:18 AM

Are you his manager?

koji (STSD)

I have been the only one speaking out for Yundi and yet you find people already seem to complain about me, but when they attack Yundi or paste out  news about Lang Lang, it's regarded as normal.

Offline tibidi

• PS Silver Member
Reply #130 on: December 02, 2004, 02:08:19 AM

I hope u are right.

Here is what someone wrote there:

"I awared that some concert venues have announced Yundi's new repertoires for the coming season. In addition to what you listed above, Schumann and Stravinsky's will be among them, although, he will still play some Liszt and Chopin."

Offline tibidi

• PS Silver Member
Reply #131 on: December 02, 2004, 02:12:03 AM

The only one I am not so sure is Stravinsky because I saw it for the first time when someone mentioned  it at the site dedicated to Yundi. These people are very good in searching news about Yundi and Lang Lang but they are fans of Lang Lang and just pretend that they support Yundi, amazing, isn't it?

I don't mean everyone of them pretends to support Yundi, but ninety over percent of them are fans of Lang Lang.

Offline tibidi

• PS Silver Member
Reply #132 on: December 02, 2004, 08:17:33 AM
I think there has been some rearrangement of my posts here by someone. The two posts dated

Reply #94 on: November 28, 2004, 07:32:30 PM

and

« Reply #103 on: November 29, 2004, 10:02:07 PM »

are two identical posts, but the first one was not posted by me.

Also two short posts just before « Reply #95 on: November 28, 2004, 07:35:55 PM »
are missing. They were written by me. If I don't bring this out now, some of you might think that I am a nut, haha!

I like to answer julie here regarding my query  about a few missing threads from the front page. I believe that these threads 'Yundi' , 'Lang Lang' and one other were under the category 'performance' when they were first posted out, but were removed from there and put under 'miscellaneous' later on. As I was only trying to look for those threads under 'performance', that is why I couldn't find them until two days later when I clicked on someone's name to read his posts. 

Offline tibidi

• PS Silver Member
Reply #133 on: December 02, 2004, 10:14:52 AM
Can the person who rearranged my posts explain why they have to rearrange them? After the rearrangement, the sequence of the posts is wrong. I had written the post dated:

« Reply #95 on: November 28, 2004, 07:35:55 PM »

as follows:

Inserted wrongly above.

Had  Dang Thai Son ever signed with DG? I only know he had done recordings with Victor. If SteinwayModelD remains silence about my query, that shows he had lied again. Nobody doesn't mean that he is no good. I would rather listen to Dang Thai Son than IVO Pogorelich or Your idol Lang Lang even though Dang Thai Son's technique is not that impressive. I would also rather listen to his Chopin than Martha Argerich's.

But since SteinwayModelD didn't answer my question, I wrtoe another one and posted it as

« Reply #103 on: November 29, 2004, 10:02:07 PM »

I just quote the relevant part as follows:

How come the same post reappears again as

« Reply #94 on: November 28, 2004, 07:32:30 PM »

before « Reply #95 on: November 28, 2004, 07:35:55 PM » ?

That means I have answered the question before I asked it.

Offline tibidi

• PS Silver Member
Reply #134 on: December 02, 2004, 10:36:46 AM
I had inserted someone's qoute wrongly just before the post

« Reply #95 on: November 28, 2004, 07:35:55 PM ».

That is why I had to write another one « Reply #95 on: November 28, 2004, 07:35:55 PM » as follows:

Inserted wrongly above.

Had  Dang Thai Son ever signed with DG? I only know he had done recordings with Victor. If SteinwayModelD remains silence about my query, that shows he had lied again. Nobody doesn't mean that he is no good. I would rather listen to Dang Thai Son than IVO Pogorelich or Your idol Lang Lang even though Dang Thai Son's technique is not that impressive. I would also rather listen to his Chopin than Martha Argerich's.

The post that I had  inserted wrongly is now missing, instead another irrelevant post written by me the next day has taken its place.

Offline thracozaag

• PS Silver Member
Reply #135 on: December 02, 2004, 11:57:27 AM

I don't mean everyone of them pretends to support Yundi, but ninety over percent of them are fans of Lang Lang.

I don't think anyone on here (especially me) has ever intimated that LangLang is superior to Yundi.

koji (STSD)
"We have to reach a certain level before we realize how small we are."--Georges Cziffra

Offline galonia

• PS Silver Member
Reply #136 on: December 03, 2004, 10:28:42 AM

I don't think anyone on here (especially me) has ever intimated that LangLang is superior to Yundi.

koji (STSD)

I agree - I stopped replying to this because it's pointless responding to people who insist on interpreting every comment as an attack.  (Sorry, Marik, to spoil your amusement  :) )

Offline tibidi

• PS Silver Member
Reply #137 on: December 03, 2004, 04:03:54 PM
This is to refute SteinwayModelD's criticisms regarding Yundi Li's repertoire. The following is some of the pieces to be played by Yundi Li next year.

February 15, 2005

Mozart: Sonata K. 330
Chopin: Polonaise op. 53
Schubert: Impromptu D 899 No. 3
Liszt: Rhapsodie espagnole
Schumann: Carnaval
Prokofiev: Etude No. 3

Conservatorio G. Verdi, Milano, Italy

https://www.deutschegrammophon.com/ontour/ontour.htms?termCol1=ART_ID&ART_ID=LIYUN&term1=LIYUN&ARTISTNAME=+Yundi+Li

Offline steinwaymodeld

• PS Silver Member
Reply #138 on: December 03, 2004, 07:08:01 PM
This is to refute SteinwayModelD's criticisms regarding Yundi Li's repertoire. The following is some of the pieces to be played by Yundi Li next year.

February 15, 2005

Mozart: Sonata K. 330
Chopin: Polonaise op. 53
Schubert: Impromptu D 899 No. 3
Liszt: Rhapsodie espagnole
Schumann: Carnaval
Prokofiev: Etude No. 3

Conservatorio G. Verdi, Milano, Italy

https://www.deutschegrammophon.com/ontour/ontour.htms?termCol1=ART_ID&ART_ID=LIYUN&term1=LIYUN&ARTISTNAME=+Yundi+Li

Great!
He played the Spanish Rhapsody in Liszt Concouse before, quite a fine perforamnce.
And he played the Prokofiev sonata while he was in China Piano competition.
I don't like it as much.

Offline tibidi

• PS Silver Member
Reply #139 on: December 04, 2004, 07:37:43 AM

Great!
He played the Spanish Rhapsody in Liszt Concouse before, quite a fine perforamnce.
And he played the Prokofiev sonata while he was in China Piano competition.
I don't like it as much.

I don't know if I can trust you any more after you had made so much mistakes here.

Offline steinwaymodeld

• PS Silver Member
Reply #140 on: December 04, 2004, 09:18:47 AM

I don't know if I can trust you any more after you had made so much mistakes here.

I have the recording and video.

Offline steinwaymodeld

• PS Silver Member
Reply #141 on: December 04, 2004, 09:39:40 AM

You can go check on Liszt's Concourse website.
I believe it was the 1999.

Yundi Li played the Tarentella and Spanish Rhapsody in the CD they put out later.
He came in 3rd i believe.
Other candidates were Masaru Okada, Mariangela Vacetell....

Offline tibidi

• PS Silver Member
Reply #142 on: December 04, 2004, 10:08:12 AM

You can go check on Liszt's Concourse website.
I believe it was the 1999.

Yundi Li played the Tarentella and Spanish Rhapsody in the CD they put out later.
He came in 3rd i believe.
Other candidates were Masaru Okada, Mariangela Vacetell....

So, this time you are right. He did play Tarentella and Spanish Rhapsody in 1999. Anything wrong in playing it to different audiences?

When I first heard this recording, I was astonished to find Yundi already playing like a professional when he was only seventeen years old. It was said that many people thought  that he would have received first prize for that competition if it is not for his very young age. I am sure you don't agree here, never mind, no need to argue about it.

Offline steinwaymodeld

• PS Silver Member
Reply #143 on: December 04, 2004, 06:48:11 PM

So, this time you are right. He did play Tarentella and Spanish Rhapsody in 1999. Anything wrong in playing it to different audiences?

When I first heard this recording, I was astonished to find Yundi already playing like a professional when he was only seventeen years old. It was said that many people thought  that he would have received first prize for that competition if it is not for his very young age. I am sure you don't agree here, never mind, no need to argue about it.

Why do u like to assume and label everyone?

Offline m

• PS Silver Member
Reply #144 on: December 05, 2004, 04:21:43 AM

Why do u like to assume and label everyone?

Once you put the label, it is easier to sort things out.

Offline steinwaymodeld

• PS Silver Member
Reply #145 on: December 05, 2004, 06:09:01 AM

Once you put the label, it is easier to sort things out.

agreed.
but easiest doesnt' mean the most accurate.

Offline m

• PS Silver Member
Reply #146 on: December 05, 2004, 06:14:41 AM

agreed.
but easiest doesnt' mean the most accurate.

Don't you understand?--it is not about the accuracy, it is about.... idea.

Offline steinwaymodeld

• PS Silver Member
Reply #147 on: December 05, 2004, 06:21:53 AM

Don't you understand?--it is not about the accuracy, it is about.... idea.

I think there are just something u can't quantitize or 'sort'.

Art is a good example.

Unless if u think the price tag on a painting, and number of prizes of a pianists are the most important things of theirs.

Offline m

• PS Silver Member
Reply #148 on: December 05, 2004, 06:28:29 AM

Unless if u think the price tag on a painting, and number of prizes of a pianists are the most important things of theirs.

...or timing of op.10/2, or op.25/11. Or wait..... even better--the whole set of etudes....

Offline steinwaymodeld

• PS Silver Member
Reply #149 on: December 05, 2004, 06:29:41 AM

...or timing of op.10/2, or op.25/11. Or wait..... the whole set of etudes....

I think u are talking to the wrong person.
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert