Piano Forum

Topic: Practicing Times  (Read 2859 times)

Offline amee

• PS Silver Member
Practicing Times
on: May 31, 2003, 12:53:49 PM
Currently I'm finding it very hard to find time to practice.  I'm fine on Saturday and Sunday, but I can't practice as much in the weekdays as I would like.  School is the main reason, plus I've got things on every lunchtime and everyday afterschool, so I cannot practice at school.  Often I don't get home until 6:30 pm, and usually with homework to do.  Are any of you experiencing something similar, or have suggestions for fitting practice around this?  How much practicing does one really need?
"Simplicity is the highest goal, achievable when you have overcome all difficulties." - Frederic Chopin

Offline Reoreo111

• PS Silver Member
Re: Practicing Times
Reply #1 on: May 31, 2003, 05:56:49 PM
I know exactly how you feel!!  I'm in highschool; and for 2 weeks straight this year, I had tennis practice after school till 5:30. Then i had play practice for our school musical from 6 to 10, which gives me an hour to eat and go from the tennis center to school.  After that, I can only practice for 30 min before my brother started yelling at me that he needed his sleep.  Not only that, i had tons of homework to do also!!  I'm so glad tennis season is over and that we're done with the musical!

Offline JTownley

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: May 31, 2003, 07:54:09 PM
;) Amee, forgive me for sounding like a father lecturing his daughter. "Where there's a will, there's a way!" Is there a piano in the school somewhere quiet where you could sneak off to right after last period to slip in a half hour of practice? When I was in H.S. (lucky me) I had a 7'6' Steinway Grand to use in the auditorium and would sit there for hours practicing after classes were out. That leads to my second suggestion. You might have to make sacrifices;you know, deciding between pep squad and piano, those kinds of painful decision. If you can only get in half an hour a day, make it finger exercises, scales, arpeggios---things that will keep your fingers flexible. That's most important. Preserve your technique. On the weekends practice some technique + work on your repertoire. Does that help?
https://www.JoeTownley.com   Lots of piano videos!
The World is Waiting to Discover YOU!

Offline ThEmUsIcMaNBJ

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: June 01, 2003, 12:55:44 AM
I had the same kind of problem, just not that extreme.  I had drumline practices after school, tuesdays i didnt get home until 9...  and thursdays I didnt get home will 6...  I have 3 band classes though!  And in each one we barely ever play because my band instructors an idiot and he gives us a free period 3 days a week.  So actually during school I got a few hours of practice in and then after school I usually got a few...  Then on days besides drumline I worked my butt off with 6-8 hours...  then saturdays I went all out...  10-12...  now that drumline seasons over I can get 6 hours in everyday at least without a problem.  But really you say sometimes you dont get home until 6:30?  Start practicing right then!  u can prolly get 2 or 3 hours in and then stay up all night and do homework get 4 hours of sleep and do it again!  When I got home from drumline days and didn't get much done before thats what I would do...  But sometimes I would only get like an hour of sleep and thats no too healthy!  But then again I'm a freak...   ::)

Offline amee

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: June 01, 2003, 03:05:12 AM
Hi Joe!

Yes, there are lots of pianos in my school where I could practice, but I don't have time.  Practicing after last period and during lunchtime is out of the question, as I have things directly afterschool and all through lunch. :-/
"Simplicity is the highest goal, achievable when you have overcome all difficulties." - Frederic Chopin

Offline rachfan

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: June 01, 2003, 05:03:26 AM
Hi amee,

It's been a very long time since I was in HS  :), but nothing has changed over the years for young pianists.  I had the same problem you describe.  The after school activities and the homework load don't leave much opportunity for daily practice.  

It has been shown time and time again that if somebody can practice daily instead of occasionally, learning is far faster, problems of execution are worked out more effectively, and playing is far more pianistic and consistent.  So that is the ideal to be sure.  

Nevertheless, your realities are your realities.  The good news is that you can still be a fine pianist.  To compensate, when you practice weekends, make that high- quality practice time.  Have a specific practice plan, concentrate deeply, keep your ears open during the whole session critiquing yourself (including the pedaling), and be highly analytical in figuring out fingerings and the best ways to practice those annoying "betes noirs" embedded in most pieces.  Also practice very slowly in early readings of pieces to avoid needless errors that then have to be undone (in the brain and fingers)  and the correct notes relearned.  A little extra time in that regard allows for more efficiency and reliability.  When polishing pieces, pretend that there is only one person seated there on your living room sofa judging your performance--the composer himself.  That thought will keep you honest.  This approach will never top the advantage of daily practice, but will still produce surprisingly good results for you.  
Interpreting music means exploring the promise of the potential of possibilities.
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert