Piano Forum

International Piano Day 2024
Piano Day is an annual worldwide event that takes place on the 88th day of the year, which in 2024 is March 28. Established in 2015, it is now well known across the globe. Every year it provokes special concerts, onstage and online, as well as radio shows, podcasts, and playlists. Read more >>

Topic: Preparation pieces for Chopin's etude  (Read 6483 times)

Offline .COM

• PS Silver Member
Preparation pieces for Chopin's etude
on: July 28, 2004, 05:05:58 PM
Could anyone suggest easy preparation pieces for Chopins "Revolutionary Etude"

I am planning to play it soon.

I would really appreciate it.
Perfectionist/Learner

Offline Hmoll

• PS Silver Member
Re: Preparation pieces for Chopin's etude
Reply #1 on: July 28, 2004, 05:44:05 PM
Could anyone suggest easy preparation pieces for Chopins "Revolutionary Etude"

I am planning to play it soon.

I would really appreciate it.

Chopin prelude Op28#3 has similar technique. It's much shorter, and not and does not have a s much dynamic variation, though.
"I am sitting in the smallest room of my house. I have your review before me. In a moment it will be behind me!" -- Max Reger

Offline .COM

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: July 28, 2004, 11:28:47 PM
Thanks, I guess I should try this piece.
Perfectionist/Learner

Offline allchopin

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: July 29, 2004, 07:23:04 AM
I second the 28/3, and raise you Rachmaninoff's Moment Musical #4 and Prelude Op. 23 #7.
But simply some of the best things you can do for the Revolutionary are scales (c minor, specifically).
A modern house without a flush toilet... uncanny.

Offline Max

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: July 29, 2004, 03:08:37 PM
This isn't a piece as such, but make sure your right hand chord technique is up to scratch - in someways it is more difficult than the left.

Offline bernhard

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: July 29, 2004, 09:20:15 PM
A very good exercise (for both hands) is to try and play a two-hand piece with just one hand. There are many pieces that allow this. Two that come to mind are J.S.Bach Prelude 1 of the WTC, and C.P.E. Bach ‘s “Solfeggietto”. Just play these pieces (and other similar ones) using only one hand.

Besides the suggestions above, the pieces below all have challenging left hands, and at the same time are all worthwhile additions to one’s repertory. They are all good preparatory pieces for the Revolutionary. (And these are just a few)

Mozart: Variations on “Ah vous dirais je Maman”. Variations 2, 4, 6 and 12 are excellent for the LH. (Grade 5/6)

Mendelssohn: Song without words Op. 30 no. 5 (grade 7/8 ) – Fast LH runs throughout the whole piece.

Mendelssohn: Song without words Op. 53 no. 3 (grade 6/7) – Very fast arpeggio figurations on LH with a powerful melody in chords on the RH. Good preparation for Chopin Op. 10 no. 12 (Revolutionary), which it reminds one of.

Schummann – Novelette (Bunte Blatter, op. 99 no. 9) – After a chordal introduction, the second part has a mist of sound created by a fast chromatic figuration on the LH.(Grade 6/7)

Shostakovitch - Prelude Op. 34 no12 – Fast LH figurations (not dissimilar to Czerny) in a “moto perpetuo” setting. Modern harmonies and “wrong note” writing. (Grade 5/ 6)

Alexander Tcherepenin - Bagatelle Op. 5 no. 6 – Very fast, repetitive arpeggio figurations on the LH. Modern yet tonal and with a minimalist idiom. (Grade 6/7)

P. D. Q. Bach – Prelude and fugue no. 1 in C from the “Short-tempered clavier”. A hilarious fugue with chopsticks on the RH and very fast scales over two octaves on the LH. An excellent encore. (Grade 4/5)

Chabrier – “Idylle” from Pieces Pitoresques. Contraty to the other pieces above, the RH is almost as busy as the LH in this delightful piece. The LH mostly plays broken octaves, skipping over two octaves. Excellent for skip accuracy. And it is a wonderful, hauntingly beautiful piece. (Grade 7/8 )

Best wishes,
Bernhard

The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side. (Hunter Thompson)

Offline .COM

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: July 31, 2004, 11:25:45 PM
You don't know how I can thank you bernhard.  :o

Your suggestions are a BIGG help.

I really appreciate your help.
Perfectionist/Learner
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert