Piano Forum

Remembering the great Maurizio Pollini
Legendary pianist Maurizio Pollini defined modern piano playing through a combination of virtuosity of the highest degree, a complete sense of musical purpose and commitment that works in complete control of the virtuosity. His passing was announced by Milan’s La Scala opera house on March 23. Read more >>

Topic: trills (haydn)  (Read 8492 times)

Offline Tash

• PS Silver Member
trills (haydn)
on: March 03, 2006, 10:18:15 PM
i have to write and perform a thing on historical performance practice on a classical or romantic piece so i'm most likely playing the 1st movement of haydn's Eb sonata (no.62), except in this one little section https://i2.tinypic.com/qo6pmg.jpg i am wondering if there's some wonderful explanation as to why the trills don't start on the upper note- is it just because they're quick and it'd sound weird if you did? have skimmed c.p.e bach's essay on keyboard playing except if he mentioned something on it i missed it...thanks!!
'J'aime presque autant les images que la musique' Debussy
Joseph Haydn:
- Top pieces & piano scores to download
- Biography & quotes
- Related forum topics & articles

Offline pianistimo

• PS Silver Member
Re: trills (haydn)
Reply #1 on: March 03, 2006, 11:42:56 PM
i'm guessing here, but  looking at the speed of the passage (16th notes) you might not have time to do a full trill while playing a descending scale.  the triplet trill does sound right and is often done (even in slow passages) in certain places in mozart.  esp. if the preceding upper note is one note higher than the trilled note.  otherwise, you have to play the same note twice. 

Offline galonia

• PS Silver Member
Re: trills (haydn)
Reply #2 on: March 04, 2006, 12:02:03 PM
You should start on the note, and not the note above, because that way you preserve the melodic line.  It sounds bizarre (and a bit like you have the hiccups) if you start on the note above.  Try it.   ;D

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert