Piano Forum

The Complete Piano Works of 15 Composers
Piano Street’s digital sheet music library is constantly growing. With the additions made during the past months, we now offer the complete solo piano works by fifteen of the most famous Classical, Romantic and Impressionist composers in the web’s most pianist friendly user interface. Read more >>

Topic: Beethoven- "Tempest Sonata" Third Movement  (Read 12610 times)

Offline grtful4dead

• PS Silver Member
Beethoven- "Tempest Sonata" Third Movement
on: April 23, 2007, 01:29:14 AM
Hey.  I played this at a recital this year (I could not attach the whole sonata).  I am a junior in college and going to be auditioning for grad schools next year.  I plan on using the same sonata, and I have till probably December 2007 to work on it.  Any comments would be appreciated, also anything as to the level of school I should be looking at.  I hope to major in piano performance. 
"Women who seek to be equal with men lack ambition." - Timothy Leary

Offline usahockey

• PS Silver Member
Re: Beethoven- "Tempest Sonata" Third Movement
Reply #1 on: April 23, 2007, 05:33:16 AM
Nice job!  This is probably my favorite Beethoven Sonata, and one of my ultimate piano playing goals is to learn the whole thing...am a long way off from that day however.

I thought that it was a very good performance, though my ears are probably not as discerning as most people on here who might have played this piece, or listened to many versions that I haven't.  The emotion that you bring out from the piece is very good, and sounds great, in my opinion. 

The only issue (imo) is that it seems that you vary the tempo slightly too much, and that in some parts it is just a little bit rushed, and if it were taken a tad bit slower in parts, the clarity of the notes would improve the feeling of the piece.  This is just a minor thing I noticed, and is probably more just how I like to hear it played, certainly a subjective critique.  Great job with it, I would also like to hear your first and second movements if you can post them!

Offline kd

• PS Silver Member
Re: Beethoven- "Tempest Sonata" Third Movement
Reply #2 on: April 24, 2007, 09:32:14 AM
This might be an issue of recording quality, but I think you should make the main theme clearer when it goes to the bass. For example, bars 30-33, 38-41, 242-245 etc. Also watch out for the sforzandi in bars 34, 42 (and similarly later). They should sound much more powerful.

There are a few passages where polishing up would be recommended. Especially the jumps in bars 71-72, 305-306 (since the low note has to be clear, mistakes in this place are horribly sticking out). Also be careful around bars 240-250.

As for the tempo, it is apparently OK to vary a bit as long as it is consistent and fully conscious, i.e. you need to have a clear vision where you want to change tempi. In my opinion, the acceleration in bar 350 doesn't seem to be well grounded. (But I know the feeling of coming to the end of the piece when performing publicly. People often psychologically want to exaggerate the climax and hence the faster playing. It's just a mental thing that should be controlled.)

But I think you're on your good way with this sonata, your playing is full of expression, I actually liked it. Good luck with your auditions!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert