Piano Forum

The Complete Piano Works of 15 Composers
Piano Street’s digital sheet music library is constantly growing. With the additions made during the past months, we now offer the complete solo piano works by fifteen of the most famous Classical, Romantic and Impressionist composers in the web’s most pianist friendly user interface. Read more >>

Topic: tempest movt. 3 question  (Read 2757 times)

Offline fiasco

• PS Silver Member
tempest movt. 3 question
on: November 14, 2008, 07:31:16 PM
On the seventh page of Beethoven's Tempest 3rd movt, the repeating trill in RH is marked B flat - C, with the thumb hitting fourth note A.  Is that C sharp or natural?  The two C's below it are both marked sharp on my copy, but the C in the trill is not.  I think it's supposed to be natural but am not sure.

Offline rhapsody4

• PS Silver Member
Re: tempest movt. 3 question
Reply #1 on: November 14, 2008, 08:36:17 PM
I play C natural - I'd never really considered C# there.

I may try it next time, but it doesn't really seem in keeping with the spirit of the rest of the sonata: I suppose this is an example of the gentle dissonance throughout, which keeps the uncomfortable/tempestual, if you will, mood of the work.

Excellent piece btw - one of my favourite Beethovens, as with the others in the Op.31 series.
“All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff.”
FZ

Offline scottmcc

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: November 14, 2008, 09:03:33 PM
I'm fighting this movement right now myself.  it's quite tricky, at least for me!  I agree that it should be a c natural, for a different reason.  measure 271 is an exact transposition of measure 43 down a 5th (F to Bb).  So, the trills should keep the same whole step interval (F-G-F becomes Bb-C-Bb).

But of course, this raises the same question about measure 43...is it a G natural in the trill or is it sharp?  the LH plays a G sharp, but there's no marking of sharp for the R.

either way I guess they should both be the same.

Offline dkainoa

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: November 17, 2008, 01:29:28 AM
definitely c natural there.

good luck with the piece!
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert