Piano Forum

Remembering the great Maurizio Pollini
Legendary pianist Maurizio Pollini defined modern piano playing through a combination of virtuosity of the highest degree, a complete sense of musical purpose and commitment that works in complete control of the virtuosity. His passing was announced by Milan’s La Scala opera house on March 23. Read more >>

Topic: UPDATED: Beethoven Piano Sonata Op. 2 No.1 - I Allegro  (Read 3769 times)

Offline aslanov

• PS Silver Member
I was just practicing today and i decided to go ahead and record my progress thus far.
As you may or may not know im at my 1.5 year mark of playing piano. Unfortunately I have been without my teacher for about 2 months now, so i try to solve the problems in my playing on my own, but as im sure you'll hear it wasnt that successful. Anyway, have a listen, and lemme know any problems you hear, and how it is i can go about practicing to reduce those problems. I know there are a lot of wrong notes...when i listen to it, i think the intention i have is...understandable, but the way i play it just doesnt do the intention justice, just yet.

I found this recording from last june.
My final attempt at uploading it, first few times didnt work out.
There are some mistakes, but the idea is there, let me know what you think because im thinking of revisiting this piece with a fresh mind.

Offline aslanov

• PS Silver Member
Re: Beethoven Piano Sonata Op. 2 No.1 - I Allegro
Reply #1 on: June 25, 2009, 04:31:55 PM
why does the sound so distorted when i just tried playing it?
should i upload it to youtube or something?

Offline go12_3

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: June 25, 2009, 11:52:28 PM
Could be your recorder.  How does your piece sound from your computer? 
I don't know much about these things, so I hope you'll be able to figure out your recording
problem.  Good luck! 

best wishes,

go12_3
Yesterday was the day that passed,
Today is the day I live and love,Tomorrow is day of hope and promises...

Offline aslanov

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: June 26, 2009, 12:47:21 AM
sounds fine on my computer. I just uploaded it to my computer, it should be available for viewing in a few minutes.

Offline shadowjohnnylee

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: September 18, 2009, 03:24:18 PM
I tried several times on your video address u gave us. It did not work...Would you post your video on the youtube again please? I'm a beginner on this piece and wondering how does it sounds like. thx! :D

Offline aslanov

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: September 19, 2009, 12:54:16 AM
I actually removed the video quite a while ago....cuz I didn't lilke my playing, one bit. Maybe in the future when i learn it again, ill record it.

Offline aslanov

• PS Silver Member
Re: UPDATED: Beethoven Piano Sonata Op. 2 No.1 - I Allegro
Reply #6 on: September 20, 2009, 07:38:35 AM
UPDATE:
I uploaded an earlier audio recording from june.
Let me know whats what.

Offline shadowjohnnylee

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: October 03, 2009, 07:03:15 PM
I like your playing:D but there is one part that I suggest not to use the pedal.  It's the first end, right after a bunch of the eighth notes. Since it has many jumping notes for the left hand and if you use the pedal, that will makes it half notes...do that makes sense? So I think it will sounds better if you can express those jump notes.

Offline zheer

• PS Silver Member
Reply #8 on: October 04, 2009, 08:44:04 AM
I like your playing:.

Me too, you understand the character of the piece which is very important. At the risk of sounding like a SNOB, once you understand the artistry of piano playing, and it's an art, you'll play Beethoven very well.
The artistry in music making is like acting, painting and reciting poetry, the physical side is artistry like ballet.

I love this piece it's the first sonata I learnt and performed, you've got to eventually learn the rest.
Good luck
" Nothing ends nicely, that's why it ends" - Tom Cruise -

Offline aslanov

• PS Silver Member
Reply #9 on: October 04, 2009, 05:05:26 PM
Really? Wow, i didn't think you guys would be so receptive of it. Thank you.

Currently I have no intention of learning the rest of the movements, but i do want to work on this first movement again. I really like it now after all these months i havent touched it.

Offline lotabwe

• PS Silver Member
Reply #10 on: December 16, 2009, 01:30:36 PM
All in all this is not a bad effort, however I have a number of suggestions. The first concerns tempo, in this piece I find it is important to keep the pulse constant, for example you tend to speed up in passages such as bar 26 to 32 (btw almost everyone learning this movement does this  initially). I suggest that you practice with a metronome until you feel you can really control the pulse. My second observation is that you need to make sure you follow the dynamics in the score more closely, with Beethoven everything is there for a reason, a couple of examples, you use a crescendo starting in bar 15, this has the effect of devaluing the forte in bar 18, you ignore the piano in bar 31 etc.
I think you obviously have it in you to play this very well, as mentioned in a previous post you seem to have a good feel for Beethoven and I look forward to your next version.
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert