Piano Forum

Remembering the great Maurizio Pollini
Legendary pianist Maurizio Pollini defined modern piano playing through a combination of virtuosity of the highest degree, a complete sense of musical purpose and commitment that works in complete control of the virtuosity. His passing was announced by Milan’s La Scala opera house on March 23. Read more >>

Topic: Beethoven quoting Pachelbel?  (Read 1963 times)

Offline abel2

Beethoven quoting Pachelbel?
on: March 09, 2017, 11:54:32 PM
In Beethoven's Pastorale Sonata, fourth movement, starting in the seventeenth measure, Beethoven  directly quote Pachelbel's Canon in D. Same chord progression, even the same key. I couldn't believe my ears at first. How egregious  ;D

Offline iansinclair

• PS Silver Member
Re: Beethoven quoting Pachelbel?
Reply #1 on: March 10, 2017, 02:03:14 AM
Everybody quotes everybody else.  No surprise -- but good ears to have picked it up!
Ian

Offline georgey

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: March 10, 2017, 02:14:15 AM
Outrageous!   ;)

Online transitional

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: September 18, 2023, 12:30:27 AM
Sometimes it's even more obvious. Consider the beginning of the first movement of Schubert's D 958 quoting Beethoven's WoO 80 variations.

Many other famous examples. Pathetique quoting K 457, Beethoven C Minor concerto quoting Mozart C Minor Concerto, Fantasy Impromptu quoting Moonlight Sonata Mvt. 3. And even more examples if you look at baroque music! Of course, you can always see them in sets of variations. What makes it "outrageous" that composers are respecting other composers' works? Of course, there may be a day when all the good chord progressions are taken. Beethoven is simply using a good theme Pachelbel created.

(I can't ever help necroposting. I don't know why.)
Schubert sonatas are amazing and I want to learn all of them eventually! My favorites are D 960, D 959, D 840, D 568, and D 894.

Offline palmtree

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: September 18, 2023, 01:31:52 PM
Beethoven might be quoting Pachelbel, but he also might just be using the schema known as the Romanesca, which was extremely common in the early 1700s and remained a common harmonic progression through the century.

Offline lelle

• PS Gold Member
Reply #5 on: September 21, 2023, 11:06:45 PM
Beethoven might be quoting Pachelbel, but he also might just be using the schema known as the Romanesca, which was extremely common in the early 1700s and remained a common harmonic progression through the century.

I think this is the most likely answer.
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert