Piano Forum

Rhapsody in Blue – A Piece of American History at 100!
The centennial celebration of George Gershwin’s Rhapsody in Blue has taken place with a bang and noise around the world. The renowned work of American classical music has become synonymous with the jazz age in America over the past century. Piano Street provides a quick overview of the acclaimed composition, including recommended performances and additional resources for reading and listening from global media outlets and radio. Read more >>

Topic: Another LTCL Program advice request! ;)  (Read 2338 times)

Offline cwhi7345

Another LTCL Program advice request! ;)
on: January 13, 2018, 03:49:08 AM
Hello all,

I am (seriously) pondering taking the next 12-18 months to prepare for my ATCL. I did my ATCL prior to doing my music degree and studied a range of LTCL/LRSM repertoire whilst doing my degree but didn't get around to doing the exam.

I have fairly small hands and am doing this for me... at the moment I am contemplating...

J S Bach Concerto no. 3 in D minor, BWV 974 (after Marcello)

Beethoven Sonata in D minor, op. 31 no. 2 ‘Tempest’

Brahms Rhapsodies op. 79 [both to be played]

Chopin Any two contrasting Études from op. 10 (or Op. 25)

C Vine Bagatelles [any three or more]

As you can see I'm not a huge French/Impressionists/20th Century fan... but are my options just simply all too similar?  ::) ::) ::)

Offline symphonicdance

• PS Silver Member
Re: Another LTCL Program advice request! ;)
Reply #1 on: February 19, 2018, 09:23:00 AM
In this part of the world......

J S Bach Concerto no. 3 in D minor, BWV 974 (after Marcello) - popular choice
Beethoven Sonata in D minor, op. 31 no. 2 ‘Tempest’ - super super super popular choice
Brahms Rhapsodies op. 79 [both to be played] - popular choice
Chopin Any two contrasting Études from op. 10 (or Op. 25) - popular choice
C Vine Bagatelles [any three or more] - rare choice

Though you may not be a big fan of French or 20th Century Music, you better go for the "safer" choices.  Examination fee is not a penny these days. 

When I was young, I played Chopin and Schumann a lot.  However, I never used them in my ATCL ~ FTCL diploma examinations.

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert