Piano Forum

Lucas Debargue - A Matter of Life or Death
Pianist Lucas Debargue recently recorded the complete piano works of Gabriel Fauré on the Opus 102, a very special grand piano by Stephen Paulello. Eric Schoones from the German/Dutch magazine PIANIST had a conversation with him. Read more >>

Topic: How long time should it take to learn a piece?  (Read 3397 times)

Offline slurred_beat

• PS Silver Member
How long time should it take to learn a piece?
on: September 07, 2021, 07:27:26 PM
Hi all, I'm wondering how long it should take to learn a new piece. Say I open a book with the Beethoven patetique, how long should it take from I start working until it is finished? Or I know different pieces are different length, but say 15 or 20 minute piece. How long should it take?

Offline brogers70

• PS Silver Member
Re: How long time should it take to learn a piece?
Reply #1 on: September 07, 2021, 08:22:48 PM
"There was an artist in the city of Kouroo who was disposed to strive after perfection. One day it came into his mind to make a staff. Having considered that in an imperfect work time is an ingredient, but into a perfect work time does not enter, he said to himself, It shall be perfect in all respects, though I should do nothing else in my life. He proceeded instantly to the forest for wood, being resolved that it should not be made of unsuitable material; and as he searched for and rejected stick after stick, his friends gradually deserted him, for they grew old in their works and died, but he grew not older by a moment. His singleness of purpose and resolution, and his elevated piety, endowed him, without his knowledge, with perennial youth. As he made no compromise with Time, Time kept out of his way, and only sighed at a distance because he could not overcome him. Before he had found a stock in all respects suitable the city of Kouroo was a hoary ruin, and he sat on one of its mounds to peel the stick. Before he had given it the proper shape the dynasty of the Candahars was at an end, and with the point of the stick he wrote the name of the last of that race in the sand, and then resumed his work. By the time he had smoothed and polished the staff Kalpa was no longer the pole–star; and ere he had put on the ferule and the head adorned with precious stones, Brahma had awoke and slumbered many times. But why do I stay to mention these things? When the finishing stroke was put to his work, it suddenly expanded before the eyes of the astonished artist into the fairest of all the creations of Brahma. He had made a new system in making a staff, a world with full and fair proportions; in which, though the old cities and dynasties had passed away, fairer and more glorious ones had taken their places. And now he saw by the heap of shavings still fresh at his feet, that, for him and his work, the former lapse of time had been an illusion, and that no more time had elapsed than is required for a single scintillation from the brain of Brahma to fall on and inflame the tinder of a mortal brain. The material was pure, and his art was pure; how could the result be other than wonderful?" -H.D. Thoreau

Offline ranjit

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: September 07, 2021, 10:20:31 PM
This is one place where you need to experiment and see what works for you, based on what level you're at. I would say that for 99.9% of people, the answer will be more than a week. However, anything beyond that is hard to say. I know it is fairly common for university students (say at the Masters level) to 'learn' a Beethoven sonata in 2 weeks (not to performance standard however, just the notes). If you are a beginner, it would be surprising if you could learn it in less than several months.

Offline lelle

• PS Gold Member
Reply #3 on: September 09, 2021, 07:32:52 PM
Very broad question that might be hard for people to give a specific answer to. I think, if you play pieces at your level, it should take a couple of days to be able to play the notes cleanly in a slow tempo, and maybe a week or two to play it at near full tempo assuming consistent, efficient daily practice, else it may be too difficult. But of course, it varies depending on if you are learning a 3 minute prelude or a 30 minute sonata.

Offline jimroof

Reply #4 on: October 16, 2021, 01:31:52 PM
The fact that you ask this question tells me - way longer than you hope for.

Chopin Ballades
Chopin Scherzos 2 and 3
Mephisto Waltz 1
Beethoven Piano Concerto 3
Schumann Concerto Am
Ginastera Piano Sonata
L'isle Joyeuse
Feux d'Artifice
Prokofiev Sonata Dm

Offline anacrusis

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: October 16, 2021, 10:25:55 PM
The fact that you ask this question tells me - way longer than you hope for.

I'd like to challenge that a bit. I remember being in a competition, and the winner played Liszt's sonata in b minor, among other pieces. I asked her how long it took her to learn the piece, and she said "two weeks". I think for a pianist who has mastered their craft, even shorter times are not unreasonable. But I think that's also the thing - pieces that are quick to learn will only be pieces that are at a level you have completely mastered.

Offline musicus15

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: December 19, 2021, 08:30:38 PM
There is no rule about this.
David Rubinstein

Offline anacrusis

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: December 19, 2021, 08:47:53 PM
You could say it's on a scale from instantly, if your technique and sight reading are at a level where you can just play the piece in tempo from the page, to an infinite amount of time, if the piece is beyond the capabilities you'll attain in this lifetime.

Offline bwl_13

• PS Silver Member
Reply #8 on: January 18, 2022, 07:10:15 AM
I can only speak from my experience, and pretty much around the time you originally made this post I began studying the first movement of Op. 13. My learning process of having the entire work memorized and fluid at a performance tempo was about a month and a half after that. I'm still working on the first movement and working on the very small details to get it up to the most perfect level I can, although I have learned the notes of Op. 31/2 (movement 1) and gotten it up to around a performance tempo in about 3 weeks, and this movement is by most accounts more difficult than that of Op. 13.

I think it depends when you approach it in your studies and what exactly you consider to be "learned", as well as how much other stuff you're working on and what you're prioritizing in your practice sessions.
Second Year Undergrad:
Bach BWV 914
Beethoven Op. 58
Reger Op. 24 No. 5
Rachmaninoff Op. 39 No. 3 & No. 5

Offline winsto7

• PS Silver Member
Reply #9 on: February 21, 2022, 02:20:34 AM
First off, there are so many factors, but I think this all depends on personal level, work ethic, and piece choice.

Clearly something like Fur Elise will take way less time to learn the Liszt's La Campanella. If you're willing to work hard, then you could possibly learn new repertoire in a couple weeks to a decent level. In my piano experience, I have found that I devote more time and effort into pieces I enjoy or that have some significance to me. For this reason, I hate competitions, but that's another story. This question also depends how you define "learn". Do you mean just enough to play it for some friends or family and get through it "ok" with all correct notes or do you mean taking it to performance level. Oftentimes in my playing, it takes longer to get from knowing all the notes to performance than it does to get from sightreading to knowing the notes. Generally I can pick up most pieces of music and play all the right notes within 2 weeks, but oftentimes it takes me months to refine a piece to a point I like. These are just my thoughts; take as you please.

For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert